Saturday, May 2, 2015

Fitness: Back to running!

The last time I wrote about running, it wasn't a positive post. I ended up with shin splints right before all the big runs I signed up for. I ended up at the sideline supporting my friends, but deep inside I felt like crying, because I wanted to participate too.

Hopefully this year will be different. I'm really careful, so I'm building up my speed and kilometers slowly. I'm trying not to care about finishing faster than the last time, or setting new PR's, the most important thing for me right now, is that I'm able to run my favorite races.
Spring is my sign to start running again. It gets lighter in the evening and that means I'm able to run alone after dinner. Next to a full-time job, it's almost impossible to go running in winter, because I don't run alone after dark. I run in daylight, I prefer sunshine and I don't mind hot weather. So, spring and summer is my time to shine!

The plan right now is to run a short round (about 5 km) one time a week on a workday, next to CrossFit 2 to 3 times a week. In the weekends I'm going to build up the kilometers. I started with 5 km and every week I'll add another KM. Right now I'm at 9 km and may 16th I have my first 10 km race planned, so I'm right on schedule. I'll stay on 10 km for a couple of weeks, before I'm adding more again.


This year I've signed up for:
May 16th - Nike Women's Run, Amsterdam (10 KM)
June 19th - Midzomernachtcross, Amsterdam (10 KM)
June 26th - Grachtenloop, Haarlem (10 KM)
September 20th - Dam tot Damloop, Amsterdam/Zaandam (16,1 KM)

1 comment:

  1. For me personally I am encountering a lot less of the common runner's injuries even though doing marathons. I strengthen some regions through powerlift and crossfit training. For more insight visit my blog :)

    ReplyDelete